The more information you can give us, the easier it is to search our records. We require:
- A copy of your photo ID for certified copies
- A written request accompanied with a signature and address
- Proof of relationship in the written request (simply state your relationship to the person whose document you are requesting)
You may send your request by mail accompanied by payment for fees.
- Our records for BIRTH begin at 1857. We require at least the following for requests:
- Full name of descendant (if possible)
- Date of birth or a range of years to search by
- Parents' names (very helpful because many very old records list the child only as a baby girl or a baby boy)
- Our records for DEATH begin at 1877. We require the following for requests:
- Full name of a descendant (if possible)
- Date of death or a range of years to search by
- Our records for MARRIAGES begin at 1835. CIVIL UNIONS begin in 2011. We require at least the following for requests:
- Both partners' names
- Date of marriage/civil union or a range of years to search by
- If the date of the record is before 1916 - $7.00 per copy ($1.00 for each additional copy of same record.
- If the date of the record is after 1916 - $9.00 per copy for genealogy purposes $1.00 for each additional copy (copy will be stamped "Genealogy Only".
- CERTIFIED COPIES are $15.00 for the first copy and $4.00 for each additional copy. For Death Records certified copies are $19.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional.
- If there is no document found there is a $2.00 search fee.
- Personal checks are accepted, made payable to "Mercer County Clerk".
- We do not have the ability to produce wallet sized documents.
- Average processing time is generally one week upon receiving request and fees. If your request is for genealogy and it arrives during the weeks before or after an election, it could be several weeks before we have free time to process your request. We apologize for the delay, but elections must be our first priority. We charge a search fee of $2.00 if the record is not found.
*** You can now begin the process of requesting copies of birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage licenses online. To make your request, click the following link: https://www.officialrecordsonline.com/Select/Index.html?state=IL&county=MERCER#/
ASSUMED NAME FOR BUSINESSES
- Your ceremony MUST be held in Mercer County to apply for a marriage / civil union license.
- You will need a photo ID and you must appear in person to apply
- The license must be obtained at least one day before the planned ceremony and is good for 60 days.
- The application requires that you know your parents' birthplace and the month and year of any divorces you may have.
- FEES: The application fee is $40.00. This fee includes one certified copy. Extra Certified copies of the completed license are $4.00 per each additional copy at that time..
*** You can now begin the process of applying for a marriage license online. It is still necessary for you to come into our office, but it will streamline the process. To begin your application, click the following link: https://ilmercer.fidlar.com/ILMercerVS/Apex.WebPortal/
Recorder Phone: (309) 582-1137 Fax: (309) 582-7022
- Documents must have original instruments for recordation, notary seal, date and signature when required, prepared by, return to, and a self addressed stamped envelope for returning.
- Illinois Public Act #87-1197 statute requires all documents:
- must be on 81/2 x 11 inch white paper
- have a 3x5 blank square in upper right hand corner
- have a 1/2 inch blank margin all around
- be in black ink, typewritten or computer generated in at least 10 point type
- have no attachments (tape, staples etc.)
- Failure to comply to any of the above will result in non-standard document fees.
- 55 ILCS 5/3-5018.1 statute states: A document making specific reference up to 5 pin numbers and 5 legal descriptions.
Predictable Fee Schedule (eff. 12/01/18)
Recording Fees: Non-Standard Fees:
$77.00 = (no page count) $120.00 = (no page count)
$68.00 = non-real estate (no page count) $112.00 = non-real estate (no page count)
Plat of Subdivision = $118.00
Plat of Survey = $77.00
UCC Documents = $66.00
UCC Termination = $46.00
For a more detailed description click HERE.
Postage paid envelopes
November 4, 2004, Mercer County Board passed a resolution requiring postage paid return envelopes for all documents being recorded, those documents not accompanied by an envelope will be available for pick up in the Recorder's Office. A second postage paid return envelope is required for immediate return of a file stamped copy.
Financing Statements (UCC)
- Original, Continuations, Amendments, Assignments & Partial Releases - $66.00
- Only Real Estate Financing Statements (UCC) will be accepted at County level, all others must be filed at State level.
- Terminations - $46.00
- UCC Searches - $10.00 for search only - $1.00 per copy additional fee
- Farm Collateral UCC informational copy - $10.00
All Financing statements (UCC's) must be typed. (eff. 01/01/1997)